Sunday, March 18, 2012

Saving the Moola

This year Mark and I are on a very strict household budget. I'm not saying there isn't any play money and we're going to have a boring year, we're just really watching more of what we spend and planning for the future. We sat down during the week we were off between Christmas and New Years to make our budget. As we did that I took it upon myself to see every way we could save. I surprised myself when I felt like I hit the jackpot with these savings (even though they may be minimal).
  • We lowered our cell phone bill by decreasing our monthly minutes. (Savings of $35)
  • We received a promotional card for discounted garbage pickup from a competitor. So I called our supplier and they ended up matching the deal from the other guys. (Savings of $24)
  • We called Comcast (several times) and ended up getting a GREAT deal from them. (Savings of $90)
We've done great so far and can't wait to see our progress come the end of the year!

I've also become quite the "point nazi."  I love me some hotel points (such as Marriott, Hilton or Starwood), frequent flyer miles/points, credit card points/cash back, Qdoba and PetSmart, and even frequent customer punch cards at Blue Coast Burrito or Sweet CeCe's. I've even come to love the points at Home Depot for gas discounts. 

This only helps with our budgeting!  Thank goodness Mark is on board!

2 comments:

mary leigh said...

can you come make me a budget and then make me stick to it, please.

The Davis Family said...

We have re-evaluating our spending/savings plan too. Oh, I miss Blue Coast Burrito...fruit tea!!!