Sunday, April 29, 2012

Park City, UT Site Visit

I had the opportunity to do a site visit for a meeting in Park City, UT back in January. On paper, we were pretty much set with the Park City Marriott. So from prior experience we've decided site visits would be necessary; especially since this was a customer meeting. So I had planned a short 2 day trip, one travel day, 1/2 day for the site visit and then travel back home returning late at night.

I arrived late in Park City on the first night. Upon arrival I was already disappointed with this property. It just didn't have the look of a ski lodge/hotel that I had imagined. I usually love Marriott properties but I was nervous about this one. The lobby was old, I had dinner in their restaurant which felt like a Shoney's, my room, the Presidential Suite, was dated. The furniture was all scuffed up, the carpet was dirty, etc.  This wasn't really the feel we were going for. In year's past we've been to Aria, Las Vegas; W, Ft. Lauderdale; Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island and Loews Vanderbilt, Nashville.

So I altered my travel to stay an extra day so I could visit a few other properties and find one that would fit our program. Our dates weren't flexible but at this point I just wanted to see any property that could even be a possibility, I would worry about availability when I returned to the office. I filled a day with 6 site visits, that's a long day.

I ended my long day at The St. Regis Deer Valley. The have customer service down pat!!  I had rented a car at the Marriott so I needed to return it before my meeting with the Director of Sales at The St. Regis. I was in contact with her assistant, telling her my plan to return my car and take a cab and that I would be there in about 30 minutes. Well she insisted that she send a car to pick me up and take me to the hotel. I arrived to a very warm welcome by the Director of Sales, General Manager, Front Desk Manager and the Director of Convention Services. I first took advantage of their hot chocolate bar - heaven! I toured the property and finally got to my room, which was A-Mazing! They offered me dinner in their restaurant or room service, I was exhausted and opted for room service.

I had an awesome dinner, a tray of chocolates with wine and a great night's rest. I had an 8am flight with an hour commute to the airport so I wasn't there long. The St. Regis arranged a car to transport me to the hotel. My pickup time was 5am. After checking out at the front desk I was given breakfast to-go. They had a tray of fruit, bagel and cream cheese, 2 muffins, orange juice and coffee for my ride. WWWhhhhhhaaaatttt!!?!?  Now THAT is customer service. Some people should take notes. I was blown away.

As you can imagine, The St. Regis was certainly my top pick, now if they could just work within our budget.
They did!!  Our meeting was a go for March 5-7. So I started the logistics....

To be continued..............

Other hotels I visited:
The Chateau at Silver Lake - this would have been our second choice.
Hyatt Escala Lodge



1 comment:

The Davis Family said...

Wow! This part of your job sounds like a dream! :)