Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Daddy's Little Girl

When I wrote about my mom about a month ago I mentioned I was a huge daddy's girl and well..........it's true! He always says God gave him just what he ordered. I'm pretty much a spitting image of him, sometimes Mark is thankful for that and other times not so much. :)  What can I say, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. I was also breech when I was born so dad also says I've been a pain in the butt since day one, jokingly of course (or at least I think so). As with my mom, I'm so very thankful for my dad and our relationship. I have so many memories of us doing different things growing up and here are just a few.

  • My dad and brother have always played softball/baseball. We traveled all over to watch them play.
  • Dad used to be a drug dealer, ok not really. He used to transport medication from here to Wartburg (I think that's what he did, I can't remember specifics) for a local drug store but we had ridden with him that night, it was raining and it was late. I remember him getting a speeding ticket. I thought it was the worst thing evenr!
  • I went to work with dad one day when he worked for Patterson's Appliances. We visited several houses while he installed/serviced appliances. This was also the day he taught me the best way to eat a Hardee's biscuit and gravy.
  • Dad's a contractor so he always had odd jobs. We were working at Sherry Hill's house and we found a snake on her carport. Of course, I was freaking out.
  • When dad worked for TDOT, I always remember him working during the snow and driving that big orange truck to the house a few times.
  • We used to skip hand-in-hand from the front doors of our church to the car on Sundays.
  • We danced our first dance to My Girl during my 16th birthday party.
  • One day we rode our bikes from Ingles to TDOT (you Rockwood people know what I'm talking about). My bike had a basket and I insisted carrying a $20 bill of mine in it while we rode. Dad told me I shouldn't that it may fall out but I did anyway. Well when we got to TDOT it wasn't in the basket, I had lost it, just as dad warned me. Oh, he was so mad.
  • When I was at Roane State, dad took over the Rockwood Girls City League Softball program. We went to the Ridge View ball fields most nights during the week. He was the head honcho and I kept the books for most games.
  • I used to run errands with dad on most Saturdays. We would always go to the bank and I remember looking forward to seeing the tellers so I could get my sucker or gum!
  • He taught me to swim by throwing me into the pool or making me go down the slide and figure out how to get to the other side. Oh I would just scream.
Dad is a very special man. I'm so lucky to have grown up with both parents and also that my parents are still married.......to each other. You don't hear of that often anymore but that's something Mark and I both are very proud of.

And now, just a few reasons why I'm so thankful for daddy,
  • He's so likeable
  • He's never met a stranger (mom hasn't either, so this part was easy when God made me)
  • He's smart with money (probably because he was poor growing up but it's definitely taught me to be a little tight)
  • I love that he's funny! He can pretty much make a joke and/or laugh about anything.
  • He's a man of God and has taught me the love of my heavenly Father by being my earthly father
  • He would do anything for anyone, he has such a serving heart
  • He is still active - plays ball better at 60 than the young'uns and runs faster than they do too! (I'm determined to one day make him participate in the Senior Olympics)
  • He taught us right from wrong
  • My mom is still his high school sweetheart
  • He's so smart - he knows so much about houses, cars, yardwork, life and well just about everything (except maybe how to use a computer)!
  • He and Mark have a great relationship - Dad calls him his best son-in-law (umm, he's his only son-in-law, but that's not the point :) I see alot of my dad in Mark - that's probably part of the reason I married him.
  • He gave me his red hair and freckles.
  • He always teaches me to do my best. If I made a B or C in school, if at least I gave it my all and tried my best, he was proud.
  • He was such a present father. He was at my softball games, watched me cheer, graduation, church events, dragon boat races, you name it.
  • He's an awesome Grandad and I can't wait for my kids to one day meet him.
  • He loves chocolate and sweet tea (he only drinks it with EVERY meal)
  • He taught me independence and fearlessness (we'll both try anything at least once)
  • There's nothing this man can't fix!
  • He's so thoughtful! He's thinking about other people all the time. If he sees someone selling peanut butter on the side of the road and he knows you LOVE peanut butter he'll stop to buy some, not only to help them out but also to brighten your day. Always thinking of others.
These are just a few of the reasons I'm so thankful to call Terry Stooksbury my daddy! Thanks dad!