Tuesday, November 25, 2008

5 months........

.....from today I will be Mrs. Rogers. Whoa! I just can't believe it. It continues to go by faster and faster. Just think, after the new year, it will be here before we know it. We are still very excited and enjoying every minute of this planning process. We are looking forward to coming home after work and being together at night, me cooking dinner (more nights than not), sharing with each other the details of our day, traveling, continuing to make each other laugh, saving and spending money, building a house, starting a family, making memories with family and friends, learning about and loving each other. Yes, we are doing some of these things now but not as a married couple. How exciting!

With marriage comes a lot of change and I'm experiencing one of those for Thanksgiving. I will not be spending Thanksgiving with my immediate family. I will be joining Mark and his (our) family on Thursday. I am a little nervous. It's just that I have thoughts of how Thanksgiving should be or has been (watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade, helping/watching mom cook, eating, chatting with family, playing with Drew, visit the Grandparents, eat, looking through the paper to map our shopping route on Friday, eating again) and it's just going to be different this year. I will miss spending time with mom, dad, Bradley, Casey, Drew, Mike, Lori, David, Daniel and Amanda. Will you call and leave me on speaker phone while you spend the day together? :) Even though Thanksgiving will be a bit different I will celebrate and be surrounded by people that I love and that mean so much to me. I have also taken the challenge to be thankful for the small things, the little details, not just the big picture. My friend Mary Leigh shared a bit from the sermon on Sunday so each day I am trying to acknowledge those details for which I am thankful.
Details that I am thankful for:
I am very thankful that I have the money to gas up my car and be with family this week.
I am thankful for my job even though I hear it feels just like an episode of "The Office."
I am thankful for my parents health and that they are able to come visit me this weekend.
I am thankful for the surgeon that operated on mom's foot so she can walk on it while shopping all day Friday.
I am thankful for Mark in that he makes me laugh when he has really ticked me off.
Even though I drive an hour to work, at least I am able to work and have a car for transportation.
When I think there is nothing in the house to eat, I am thankful that I am not really out there starving. Same with clothes, when I think I don't have anything to wear, I am thankful that my closet if full.
I am so thankful for the socks on my feet right now, because they are freezing.
I am thankful that my family and friends are really just a phone call away.
Are you thankful for the details?
Have a Safe and Happy Thanksgiving!

5 comments:

mary leigh said...

Yeah, I love your list!
Ok, so our first holiday together as a married couple- I seriously cried thinking that I was going to have to miss out on "my" family holiday! But it's so worth it!

Casey said...

We will definitely miss seeing you on Thanksgiving:(, but I know that we have to share you with your new family! You will have a great time celebrating with Mark and his family! However, I'm sure it won't be as fun as spending it with us:)We miss you, and can't wait to see you soon...espically Drew! Love you!

mary leigh said...

hey, what church do yall go to?

The Davis Family said...

Well said! I think adjusting to the holiday visiting schedule has been one of the toughest things for me. It can be rough not seeing your family for the holidays. (Especially since they don't live in the same town and you won't be able to spend part of the day with his and part with your family.) But it just shows how your family can grow and you get to experience new traditions!

Tara said...

Great list! Yes, as you get married and even engaged things do change on the holidays and I had a hard time at first too, but you get used to it. You make new traditions and after a while it feels right. I hope you had a great one! I cant believe it is only 5 months away!