Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Dragon Boat Races

Saturday me and a few friends from work participated in the dragon boat races down the Cumberland at Riverfront Park in downtown Nashville. We heard that one boat still had a few empty seats so we decided instead of making our own boat we would team up with Team Green. This is a boat of 20 paddlers, one drummer and one person to steer. We only had one practice in the water and so we were by no means professionals but we did have a great time. It's definitely much harder than it looks. We raced 3 times and finished 34th out of 40 teams (I'm not certain it was 34th, close enough - but like it matters) - as you can tell we did pretty good! :-) During our particular heat we did come in third twice and second once. So really we don't think we did too bad. We had a fun team and it was great getting to know new people. Mom and dad came to cheer us on and enjoy the festival. We couldn't have asked for better weather, it was superb!
Mark was out of town at a bachelor party and of course made fun of me. He kept saying, gee , your husband's out of town and you decide to row a freakin boat! :0 The things I get myself into. But I actually enjoyed it!














Keely, our drummer, what a great sport!




















Two of our cheerleaders.



























Part of our team.















Darren, our team captain































They even had the dragon entertainment during the opening ceremonies.















2 comments:

Tara said...

How fun! I saw this on the news!

Unknown said...

I remember Keely! I was walking around taking photos of the other teams and quickly spotted her. I really just wanted a photo of her but I didn't want to appear creepy (like I am now) so I asked for a group photo. She is so cute!